Forget the Tulips, I'm Ordering Daffodils





It's tulip time in Washington.
Perhaps a little past prime time, given that
last week's weather was spectacular
and unseasonably warm.

While I love tulips for their vibrant colors,
I live at the edge of the woods.
My woods are inhabited by deer.


And my deer l-o-v-e to munch on tulips.
And azaleas, camellias, and lots of other tasty
treats. . . that are on the "deer resistant plant" list.

But so far they've left my daffodils alone.
So I just placed an order
 for another 250 daffodil bulbs.
They'll arrive in the fall for planting time
and poke up their cheerful heads in March



just when I'm needing some color
to counter the long gray days of 
a Pacific Northwest winter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You