Note to Myself # 11





The smell of freshly popped popcorn
is one of my favorite smells.
I think God smiles when
S/He gets a good whiff
of buttered popcorn.

My theater-of-choice,
as you may already know,
is The Grand Cinema,
one of Tacoma's sparkling gems.
It's a non-profit movie theater
that shows mostly independent films.
You can count of having seen lots of nominees there
when Golden Globes and Oscars are handed out.

Right now
LaLa Land
Jackie
Manchester by the Sea
and
Lion are playing.

How's that for a line up?
(And there's Tuesday film series, too,
with films and documentaries that you'd never see
except at the Grand.)

If you're in the know,
you buy an annual membership at the Grand.
For that ($45 for an individual)
besides supporting independent film
you get a discounted admission,
free parking in a lot half a block away
(that's locked at 9 p.m. so go to an afternoon movie
if you can)
and 
a small-size bag of free popcorn
or credit of that cost towards a larger size.

They use Orville R popcorn
and real butter.

Not like the for-profit theaters
that put some kind of greasy yellow chemical
on top of kernels that come from who-knows-where.
I generally avoid that stuff,
both for health reasons and because you can buy
two giant jugs of unpopped Orville 
at Costco for what you'd pay for the medium size serving
at the for-profit concession stands
and most of it goes to waste anyway
because there's no way I could eat that much.

Give me a cup of fluffy kernels
and I'm satiated.

So that's my riff on popcorn.

It's that or the news.
I just saw a pop-up alert that says
DT is having a press conference.
I've heard enough about golden rain.
Enough, in fact, to lose my . . . .
well, you know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You